ACTIVITY: Jigsaw Reading
Assessments: Student discussions, Student writing
JIGSAW READING ASSIGNMENT FOR NEVERWHERE CHAPTERS 14-17
Students were put into small groups and asked to determine who in each group would accept responsibility for reading which chapters in preparation for another round of fishwbowl discussions. Students used the same Fishbowl Preparation guide to prepare for their roles.
Each project group (the same one as in Science class) was responsible for teaching one another Chapters 14-17 of Neverwhere.
EACH MEMBER OF THE GROUP IS BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
1. Reading and preparing to 'teach' at least one chapter of 14-17 to the other members of your group.
2. Teaching the other members of the group the most important elements of that chapter
3. Completing a "Fishbowl Preparation Guide" for the chapter/chapters you are responsible for.
EACH GROUP WILL HAVE 60 MINUTES TO:
1. Teach each another your assigned chapters
2. Create a large Storyboard that covers and highlights those four chapters of the novel and you will present to the class.
(e.g. rubrics, examplars, websites, etc.)
REFLECTIONS & COMMENTS
This was a great activity, especially following so closely on the heels of the 1st fishbowl discussions. I liked how this one asked that students be prepared as an expert for only one chapter, rather than all, really driving home the imporatance of group responsibility.