ACTIVITY: Background Research (Benchmark 4)
Project: California, Who Are You?
Duration: 120+ minutes
Assessments: Student writing
Materials: Internet access for each group, 1-2 computers for each group, topcially applicable books for the local library or classroom books
Students are still sitting in project groups, but this is individual research. Each student needs to do their own research, and no two students in a group can use the same facts. This requirement is meant to create individual ownership for the project, as well as, to widen the scope of the research. Students used triple-entry-quote journals to record their research, because this model allowed space for recording information from websites or books, as well as, citations and interpritations. Students use a similar format while reading novels in English Language Arts, so it was a tool that they had already used. The goal of this activity is to allow students to gather information to create a strong basis for the thesis that they will write in the next benchmark.
(e.g. rubrics, examplars, websites, etc.)
CA Geology - Benchmark 4: Triple Entry Quote Journal
students record research, sources, and interpritations on one document...
REFLECTIONS & COMMENTS
This process took a lot longer for some groups rather than others, because some topics were more accessible. SIt is key during this process to remind groups of their questions, because they have a tendancy to research the topic itself, but not specifically the question that they researched. If it would be possible in the future, I would schedule times to take different groups to the library to access more materials.
ALL PROJECT ACTIVITIES
- CA Geology - Reflection
- The Launch
- Introductory Research & Choosing a Topic (Benchmarks 1 & 2)
- Formulate a Research Question (Benchmark 3)
- Background Research (Benchmark 4)
- Formulate a Thesis (Benchmark 5)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA) Proposal (Benchmark 6)
- Create Script & Final Storyboard (Benchmark 7)
- Create Public Service Announcement (PSA) movie (Benchmark 8)
- Script for Presentation - Artist Statement (Benchmark 9)
- Practice for the Presentation (Benchmark 10)
- Final Presentation of PSA and Presentation of Artist's Statement (Benchmark 11)