ACTIVITY: Formulate a Research Question (Benchmark 3)
Project: California, Who Are You?
Duration: 30 minutes
Assessments: Student writing
Students worked in project groups to discuss and formulate a question based on the topic they chose. This question needs to be very well written, because it drives their entire project. I encouraged students to focus on questions that are more open-ended. In many instances, I had students go back and revise their questions.
(e.g. rubrics, examplars, websites, etc.)
REFLECTIONS & COMMENTS
Formulating this question was harder for some groups. Once I had some more concrete examples, I was able to show students how other students worded their questions, which was helpful for them. This is a critical point in the project, because it frames the whole project.
ALL PROJECT ACTIVITIES
- CA Geology - Reflection
- The Launch
- Introductory Research & Choosing a Topic (Benchmarks 1 & 2)
- Formulate a Research Question (Benchmark 3)
- Background Research (Benchmark 4)
- Formulate a Thesis (Benchmark 5)
- Public Service Announcement (PSA) Proposal (Benchmark 6)
- Create Script & Final Storyboard (Benchmark 7)
- Create Public Service Announcement (PSA) movie (Benchmark 8)
- Script for Presentation - Artist Statement (Benchmark 9)
- Practice for the Presentation (Benchmark 10)
- Final Presentation of PSA and Presentation of Artist's Statement (Benchmark 11)