ACTIVITY: 4 Corners Discussion Activity
Duration: 60 minutes
Assessments: Student discussions
Materials: Signs to Post: 'Strongly Agree', 'Strongly Disagree', 'Agree', 'Disagree'
1. Do Now: Using as many “I have…” statements as possible (try for 30!) respond to the following questions: What have you done with your future? What have you done with your life?
2. Four Corners Activity (in this activity four signs are posted in different corners of the room: 'Strongly Agree', 'Strongly Disagree', 'Agree', 'Disagree'. Students are provided with a statement taken from Elie Wiesel's Acceptance Speech for the Nobel Peace Prize, which they haven't read yet, and are asked to go to the corner of the room that most agrees with their point of view on the statment. Here they share with others, discuss and share out with the class, creating a wonderful dialogue.)
• I am silent when and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation.
• We must always take sides.
• Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion or political views, that must—at that moment—become the center of the universe.
• Our lives do not belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately.
3. Homework Due Next Class: Respond to whether or not you agree or disagree with the following statements in no less than 2 pages. Provide examples from your own life, or of why you believe this, to support your response:
• “There is so much to be done, there is much that can be done. One person…of integrity can make a difference, a difference between life and death. As long as one dissident is in prison, our freedom will not be true. As long as one child is hungry, our lives will be filled with anguish and shame.”
(e.g. rubrics, examplars, websites, etc.)
REFLECTIONS & COMMENTS
ALL PROJECT ACTIVITIES
- The Launch
- The Initiation (Week1 Activities)
- Becoming a Witness: The Project (week2 : day1)
- The Word "Night" (week2 : day2)
- POV: Auschwitz/'There is no 'why' here' (Week3 : Day1)
- Metaphor and Night (Week3 : Day2)
- Where is God Now? (week3 : day3)
- Hateful Messages, Humanity & Choice (week4 : day1)
- “In the depths of my heart, I felt a great void.” (week4 : day2)
- When We Are Free (week4 : day3)
- Not Feeling The Blows That Harm You (week5 : day1)
- From The Depths Of The Mirror... (week5 : day2)
- Night's Memorial (week5 : day3)
- Life is Beautiful (the film)
- 4 Corners Discussion Activity
- Elie Wiesel Accepts the Nobel Peace Prize